Bleeding gums: Causes, Treatments, and Prevention
Teeth are a very important part of our body. We should take proper care of teeth. However, people tend to ignore the gums in this process. Gums are equally important as they form the base of our oral health. So if you find your gums bleeding then take immediate actions to treat them.
Bleeding gums clearly indicate that they are not given the necessary care. If you do not take enough care of your gums along with your teeth then it can lead to problems like bleeding gums and Gingivitis (inflammation in gums). But there is nothing to worry if you just saw some initial symptoms. There are many remedies to treat bleeding gums. You should get them started to prevent any further serious gum disease.
Some of the causes of bleeding gums
The most common reason for bleeding gums is a plaque. This forms the breeding ground for millions of bacteria and causes inflammation in the gums leading to bleeding gums. But if there is no inflammation but still you find to have bleeding gums then it can be caused due to some other serious reason.
Bleeding disorders like Leukemia, deficiency of Vitamin K, Scurvy, or any hormonal change can be the cause. It is very important to consult a doctor in such a case otherwise it can lead to some other serious gum problem like Periodontitis.
For treating bleeding gums at home you can use the following remedies:
- Using a clean gauze - To stop the bleeding you can press a clean gauze on the gums gently till the bleeding stops.
- Holding an ice cube - Ice can work great. Hold an ice cube on the gum for some time, it will soothe the place and stop bleeding.
- Rinsing with warm salt water - Using warm salt water to rinse the mouth can reduce the growth of bacteria. It also facilitates the healing process and repeating the process several times a day can cure the problem completely.
- Turmeric paste - Applying turmeric paste to the gum can work magical as turmeric has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Using a good mouthwash - Mouthwash contains Chlorhexidine and Hydrogen Peroxide; therefore, they can cure inflammation and bleeding gums very effectively.
Preventive measures to be taken
- Brush your teeth - you should brush your teeth twice a day with a soft bristled toothbrush
- Use good toothpaste - there are many types of toothpaste available in the market that have medicinal values. Use them to brush your teeth as they can heal your gum problems
- Floss every day - flossing removes plaque and food particles that are stuck within the teeth or under the gums thus prevents bleeding gums
- Do not take Tobacco - Tobacco can be very harmful to your oral hygiene as they damage the teeth and gums
- Go for regular dental checkups - a thorough dental checkup at regular intervals can spare you from the serious oral problems
To maintain proper health you should also take care of your oral hygiene. Eat a balanced diet and take proper care of your teeth and gums to retain that beautiful smile.